play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    Solway Radio Local community radio station for listeners in the Solway Plain

National News

Streatham attack may have been prevented inquest jury finds

todayAugust 20, 2021

Background
share close

Streatham attack may have been prevented, inquest jury finds

A Senior police officer says that “a case such as this is a timely reminder that the terrorist threat is very real”

The Streatham terror attack may have been prevented had home-grown jihadi Sudesh Amman been recalled to prison before he struck, an inquest jury has concluded.

Twenty-year-old Amman was shot dead by armed undercover officers after he stole a knife from a hardware shop and began randomly stabbing members of the public on Streatham High Road in south London, on February 2 2020.

Police and MI5 officers were so concerned about Amman two days before the atrocity that they held an emergency meeting to discuss the prospect of arresting the recently released terrorist.

But HM Prison and Probation Service decided not to recall him to prison, despite undercover officers spotting him buy four small bottles of Irn-Bru, kitchen foil and parcel tape from Poundland on January 31 – items they rightly feared could be used to make a hoax suicide belt.

Amman was kept under round-the-clock armed surveillance instead.

The senior investigating officer on the Amman case denied suggestions from the terrorist’s family that police should have intervened and that the undercover operation was a “massive failure”, saying instead the Met’s actions on the day he struck prevented further tragedy.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon, senior national co-ordinator for counter-terrorism policing, echoed the coroner’s remarks and praised police for being “in the right place at the right time”.

Speaking outside the Met’s New Scotland Yard, Mr Haydon added: “Lethal force is rare in this country but as you have heard the evidence in this case, once the attack had started, lethal force was one of the most effective ways of stopping the attack.

“Lastly, a case such as this is a timely reminder that the terrorist threat is very real and the terrorist threat has not gone away.”

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

National News

Plymouth gunman Jake Davison kept shotgun after admitting assault

He reportedly attended a Pathfinder Scheme Police did not seize Plymouth gunman Jake Davison’s shotgun and licence after he admitted assaulting two youths in a park, it has emerged. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said the 22-year-old’s shotgun and licence were only seized in December last year when concerns were raised directly with Devon and Cornwall Police. Davison had been taking part in a voluntary intervention programme – […]

todayAugust 20, 2021


0%