play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    Solway Radio Local community radio station for listeners in the Solway Plain

National News

Man arrested on suspicion of the murder of Sabina Nessa

todaySeptember 23, 2021 1

Background
share close

Man arrested on suspicion of the murder of Sabina Nessa

A 38-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of teacher Sabina Nessa, the Metropolitan Police said.

The suspect was arrested at an address in Lewisham on Thursday and is being questioned in custody.

The force issued CCTV images of a man walking in Pegler Square, Kidbrooke, on the evening Ms Nessa was attacked as well as an image of a silver vehicle they believe he has access to.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “Our team have been working tirelessly to find the person responsible for Sabina’s murder and this has included an extensive trawl of CCTV, work which remains ongoing.

“We would ask anyone – especially those in Kidbrooke and the wider area of Lewisham and Greenwich – to take a careful look at these images to check whether you know who this man is or have seen him over recent days.

“Any information as to his identity or whereabouts could be vital for our investigation so we are asking you to share this image far and wide to ensure as many people as possible see it.”

Ms Nessa, 28, had been walking to meet a friend at a pub in Kidbrooke, south east London, on Friday on a journey that should have taken just five minutes when she was fatally attacked near Cator Park.

Her body was found near the OneSpace community centre at Kidbrooke Park Road in the Royal Borough of Greenwich at around 5.30pm on Saturday.

This is the second arrest the Metropolitan Police has made in connection with the attack.

On Saturday, detectives arrested a man in his 40s on suspicion of murder, who was then released under further investigation.

Ms Nessa’s cousin Zubel Ahmed said previously her parents are “inconsolable” after their loss.

In an interview with the BBC, he said: “We are all truly devastated. Her parents are absolutely shocked, they’re inconsolable still and understandably so, to hear of their daughter being taken away from them by some cowardly man is just horrific.

“She honestly was the most caring person, kindest, sweetest girl you could meet. Sabina’s heart was as good as gold, she never had a bad word to say about anyone. Her sister is going to miss her so much.”

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

National News

Work begins on first of five Royal Navy warships

Work has officially started on a £1.25 billion project to build the Royal Navy’s five new warships as Defence Secretary Ben Wallace cut steel for the first vessel. The ceremony for HMS Venturer on Thursday took place at Babcock’s facility at Rosyth in Fife, where the new Type 31 frigates are being built. The newest of the Royal Navy’s frigate fleet will undertake a variety of roles on operations including […]

todaySeptember 23, 2021 1


0%