play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    Solway Radio Local community radio station for listeners in the Solway Plain

National News

Historian and broadcaster Kenneth Clark honoured with a blue plaque

todayAugust 20, 2021

Background
share close

Historian and broadcaster Kenneth Clark honoured with a blue plaque

It has been unveiled outside of his former home in Marylebone, Central London

A blue plaque has been unveiled for historian and broadcaster Sir Kenneth Clark.

English Heritage has commemorated him outside his home in Marylebone, central London, where he lived during the 1930s when he became director of the National Gallery and was knighted.

Sir Kenneth, who died in 1983, is perhaps best known for the 1969 television documentary series Civilisation, which explored the history of art and philosophy in the West.

He also headed up cultural organisations including the Arts Council of Great Britain and the Independent Television Authority, and is also credited with saving hundreds of valuable artworks during the Second World War by evacuating them to rural Wales.

Sir Kenneth’s Marylebone home “became a hub for artists and fashionable society” while he lived there, “with Sir Kenneth and his wife Jane hosting glittering parties attended by guests including Winston Churchill and Vanessa Bell”, English Heritage said in a statement.

Dr Rebecca Preston, blue plaques historian at English Heritage, said: “Sir Kenneth Clark was not only a superb art historian and broadcaster, but also a curator, collector, patron, writer and campaigner.

“He was a consummate communicator and skilfully used film as a tool of mass communication – most notably in the landmark TV series Civilisation, which demonstrated his firm belief in access to the arts for all.

“We are delighted to honour him with this blue plaque.”

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

National News

Deposition of Harry Dunns alleged killer postponed after last minute agreement

The deposition of Harry Dunn’s alleged killer has been postponed just days before it was due to take place. In a statement released on Thursday, the spokesman for the teenager’s family said the decision had been reached by “mutual agreement” but could not comment any further. Anne Sacoolas, 43, and her husband Jonathan were due to give evidence under oath on Tuesday and Wednesday as part of a civil claim […]

todayAugust 19, 2021


0%