play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    Solway Radio Local community radio station for listeners in the Solway Plain

National News

Andy Murray to miss French Open and start preparations for Wimbledon

todayMay 15, 2022 5

Background
share close

Andy Murray to miss French Open and start preparations for Wimbledon

Andy Murray has withdrawn from the French Open and will focus on building up to Wimbledon.

The Scot, who turned 35 on Sunday, said in February he would skip the whole clay-court season but then changed his mind and took a wild card into last week’s Madrid Open.

He produced some of his best form since hip surgery to reach the third round, beating Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov before having to pull out of what would have been a first clash with Novak Djokovic since 2017 because of illness.

He remained in the Roland Garros draw and it appeared Murray, who has reunited with coach Ivan Lendl, could opt to play in the year’s second grand slam after all, but he has now pulled out and is sticking to his original plan.

Quite where Murray will play on grass remains to be seen, though, as the tennis world waits for decisions from the ATP and WTA on how to respond to Wimbledon and the Lawn Tennis Association’s banning of Russian and Belarusian players from this summer’s tournaments.

The removal of all ranking points is very much on the table and would severely affect the tour events in particular.

Murray had talked about potentially playing in the Surbiton Trophy, a second-tier Challenger event in London beginning on May 30, before heading to Stuttgart for the ATP tournament the following week.

In 2017 he signed a deal to compete at Queen’s Club for the duration of his career.

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

National News

Government parties share absolute determination to move on with hospital build

The three government parties share an “absolute determination” to move on and build the new National Maternity Hospital, a minister has insisted. Agriculture Minister Charlie McConalogue said he was confident cabinet would back the plan to build the facility at the St Vincent’s Hospital site in south Dublin despite the ongoing controversy over ownership and governance arrangements. “I think there’s an absolute determination among all three government parties and across […]

todayMay 15, 2022 6


0%